Share/Bookmark

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I guess I should introduce you to...

...my knight in shining armor...


Ok, so his armor is a little rusty at times...but he's the guy for me. He's the guy that doesn't think I'm totally nuts even though I know I've inherited it honestly. He's the guy that puts lotion on my feet and washes the dishes for me. He's the guy that is far too hard on himself when he's done something that is less than desirable. He's the guy that is marrying me despite all the reasons that I think he's crazy for wanting to.

What does this have to do with food? Well, it has everything to do with food. He's also the guy that eats anything that I cook...even if it looks less than tasty. He hardly ever complains about what I cook and quickly finds a way to make a criticism something constructive when he can see the hurt in my eyes.

He's Brian Davis, and I love him.



To leave you with something REALLY food related...

I get the Taste of Home email newsletter and the other day I got this picture straight in my inbox...

















Oh my! Yummy to my tummy! Four-Cheese Broiled Tomato Slices. *DROOL!!* Here's the recipe to the above appetizer:


Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan and Romano cheese blend
  • 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 4 large tomatoes

Directions

  • In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Cut each tomato into five slices. Spread each with 1 tablespoon cheese mixture.
  • Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 3 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes or until cheese mixture is golden brown and tomatoes are heated through. Yield: 20 appetizers.

Now...I'm thinking of taking this recipe and putting a Southern twist on it. Have you heard of Tomato Pie? Well, if you haven't, it's YUM! I'm not even a tomato fan and I had a friend of mine make one and it was soooo good. Basically, you slice your tomato and salt the slices. Then you let those drain. You place them in a prepared pie crust and layer them to the top. Then spread a layer of mayo, top with cheese, and bake.

I'm thinking...roast some tomatoes the way that the first recipe calls for and then roast some just plain. Then I could do a layer of plain slices for several layers, then do a layer of the slices with the four cheese mixture and so on and so forth until I get to the top and put a final layer of the cheese mixture on top and then bake. What do ya think?

No comments:

Post a Comment